A quandry regarding execution.

From: OrionFyre <orionfyre_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 01:38:15 -0500

I have various programs running around and writing status messages
into a file. As this file is changed I want to execute a command to
update my status in pidgin to the contents of that file.

Starting simple I have my media player writing the current song into this file:
~/.purple/status.songbird

so to the table I add:
/home/orionfyre/.purple/status.songbird IN_MODIFY touch /tmp/incron/1

So that as the file is modified a file called '1' in /tmp/incron/' is
touched. And this works completely 100% as expected.

Now, the command I want to be ran is:
purple-remote "setstatus?status=available&message=`cat
/home/orionfyre/.purple/status.songbird`"

when ran from the command line, this changes my status in pidgin to
whatever is in the file.

unfortunately when I place that into the table it does not work as
expected. It just doesn't work. I even went so far as to put the
command into a simple shell script that incron would call, it doesn't
work either.

What am I doing so obviously wrong that I can't see it? lol