Problem using incron for a large amount of folder.

From: Jean Baptiste MUSCAT <muscatjb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:13:41 +0100

Hello,

i'm currently working on a small app. It indexes folders (and their content,
recursively) in a database. In order to keep my db up to date, i use incron
to seek for any change inside the indexed folders.

To do so, i fill the incron table ("/var/spool/incron/root") during the
indexation. One line for each folder indexed. The filling is done "manually"
(i use a php script to do so), without using incrontab. Any
add/remove/change of a file/folder is detected by incron and will call a
"up-to-date" script.

It works quite well, but i noticed that, when i exceed a certain amount of
folders (and so lines in the table), all the folders after this "line"
aren't watched by incron.
This amount is not constant. Last day it was the 8171th line, today is the
8139th line. Indexing this number of file (and finding the exact line too)
takes time so i haven't so many data on this problem.

From last day to today i also change the "content" of each line (the path of
the script called have change, becoming a little longer). So the relevant
thing may be the weight of the file (1.9 mo) more than the number of lines.

Any hints ?

(english is not my native language, please forgive the mistakes i could have
done).