Re: daemon not really doing anything on Fedora 13

From: Mike Young <myoung_at_wildernessvoice.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:23:01 -0600

On Jul 28, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:08:47AM -0600, Mike Young wrote:
>> I actually didn't see an earlier response from you, but this is definitely
>> doing something. I can actually see my syslog updating now with something
>> as simple as a 'ls'. Previously, I saw no action whether I did a file
>> create or modify.
>
> My guess is that what's happening is that the log file is being created with
> permissions determined by the umask, and then chmodded. So, when you do the
> chmod on file creation with incron, that works, but then immediately after
> the application sets it back.

The problem is that log files get rolled with a time stamp and then a new, blank one is created. When the new one is created with 644, the app no longer works. Changing the log via a cron takes care of the problem. But then I have the down time in between. This deals with it right from the start. Plus, I can use this for other items not related to this log issue. I see a lot of use for this. But still fuzzy on why it's working now as opposed to before. I need to look back at the docs.

> Also, I need to add that seeing the files changed to world-writable pains me
> as a sysadmin. Is that really necessary?

It does me as well. But it's not my application or I'd change them. Gonna break more stuff if I try. This was an easier way than to go down that path because I could make things work, but external to their app.