Re: inotify and sysfs

From: Andruk Tatum <andruk.tatum_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 01:19:16 -0600

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier_at_gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Monday, October 04, 2010 03:50:27 Andruk Tatum wrote:
> > I am trying to monitor a file in sysfs (
> > /sys/devices/platform/hp-wmi/tablet to be exact). According to the
> > documentation I've read, inotify does have some limitations on slightly
> > exotic filesystems, but nothing really seems to mention what those
> > limitations actually are. What are those limitations for recent (
> >2.6.32
> > ) kernels? What would be the best way to monitor a sysfs file for
> > changes?
>
> this is a project for incron, not inotify in general. e-mail lkml and read
> the MAINTAINERS file in the linux kernel source to find out the actual
> maintainers of inotify.
> -mike

Hi everybody,

As Mike pointed out, this list is apparently only for incron, not for
general discussion of inotify. For whoever is in charge of the website, you
may want to change the description of this list, which currently reads "incron
has its own mailing list now. You can use it for discussions about incron,
inotify-cxx and *inotify*, requesting new features, solving problems etc.
Instructions for use are located on the appropriate page." (source: the
entry titled "2007-05-16 :: incron mailing list" on
http://inotify.aiken.cz/?section=common&page=news&lang=en ). You may want
to consider changing the title of that post so beginners (like me) don't get
confused.

Thanks for your attention.
-- Andruk