Re: daemon not really doing anything on Fedora 13

From: Matthew Miller <mattdm_at_mattdm.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:18:30 -0400

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:08:47AM -0600, Mike Young wrote:
> I actually didn't see an earlier response from you, but this is definitely
> doing something. I can actually see my syslog updating now with something
> as simple as a 'ls'. Previously, I saw no action whether I did a file
> create or modify.

My guess is that what's happening is that the log file is being created with
permissions determined by the umask, and then chmodded. So, when you do the
chmod on file creation with incron, that works, but then immediately after
the application sets it back.

Also, I need to add that seeing the files changed to world-writable pains me
as a sysadmin. Is that really necessary?

> The hard restart isn't necessarily my preference. It's for another group
> that has requested it. I've just been looking for something that is
> manageable via a config file of some type and that can monitor various
> events and take appropriate action. So this was top on my list to try.
> Been having dependency issues with getting the source to build on Fedora
> 13. So that's when I tracked down the rpm and gave that a try.

yum install incrond?

--
Matthew Miller           blocked-address          <http://mattdm.org/>